Historic Houses Project
The Historic Houses Project sponsors the publication of the Historic Houses book series and the Historic House and Garden Tours. The Historic Houses series focuses on an important part of Stanford history, providing an architectural and social history of more than 100 pre-1930 campus houses. Seven books have been published by the Historic Houses Project. The Historic House & Garden Tours share this rich history of campus architecture as well as stories of early residents with Stanford and the broader community.
In 2007, the Historic Houses Project was honored with a State of California Governor's Historic Preservation Award.
Titles in the Historic Houses Series
- Historic Houses of San Juan Hill. Revised Edition, 2006. (Out of Print)
- Historic Houses of Lower San Juan District. Published April 1998. (Out of Print)
- Historic Houses III: San Juan Neighborhood, Stanford University. Published Spring 2005.
- Historic Houses IV: Early Residential Communities of the Lower San Juan District. Published Spring 2007.
- Historic Houses V: Southeast San Juan Neighborhood, Stanford University. Published Spring 2009.
- Historic Houses VI: Lower San Juan Neighborhood, Continued. Stanford University. Published Spring 2012.
- Historic Houses VII: South San Juan Neighborhood and Stock Farm, Stanford University. Published August 2016.
To place an order for any of the books, see details at Books and Monographs.
Past Historic House and Garden Tours
- December 14, 2019 - Hanna House and Filoli Holiday House Tour
- April 26, 2015 - Hidden Gems of Upper Lomita: Walking Tour and Treasure Hunt
- May 4, 2014 - Historic Houses Reimagined
- April 22, 2012 - Eclectic Houses of Lower San Juan Neighborhood
- May 1, 2011 - An Architectural Sampler of Stanford
- April 25, 2010 - A Study in Contrasts
- April 26, 2009 - Reimagining the Clark Legacy