The Society supports an active publications program which includes a serial publication, Sandstone & Tile, an "Occasional Publications" series of essays, and books of broad interest.
Sandstone & Tile
Sandstone & Tile contains articles about Stanford history as well as news about society activities and the University archives. The current issue is mailed, free of charge, to all members of the Society, and available on this web site.
- Fall 2013 Volume 37, No 3
- Spring/Summer 2013 Volume 37, No 2
- Winter 2013 Volume 37, No 1
- Fall 2012 Volume 36, No 3
- Spring/Summer 2012, Volume 36, No 2
If you have any issues viewing these files on your mobile device, consider downloading the free Adobe Reader app for your device.
All Issues (from Volume 1 No. 1)
Index (Volumes 1-9 only)
Occasional Publications produced by the Society are in-depth historical essays covering a wide range of specialized topics authored by Stanford faculty, members of the Society and other friends of the University. Two of these have been reproduced in full for this web site:
- An Early History of the Founding of Leland Stanford Junior University, by George E. Crothers, Class of 1895
- Stanford's Red Barn, by Karen Bartholomew and Peter Allen
Several books, including a biography of Stanford's fourth president, Donald B. Tresidder, have been published and more are in the planning stage. Recent publications that are available for purchase include:
- Stanford Street Names: A Pocket Guide. Revised and Updated, by Richard W. Cottle, Professor Emeritus of Management Science and Engineering. 100-page pocket guide for $9.95 + $.87 sales tax (CA residents) + $6.00 shipping and handling per book.
- Trees of Stanford and Environs, by Ronald N. Bracewell. Foreword by Donald Kennedy. The price is $21.95 + $1.92 sales tax (CA residents) + $6.00 shipping and handling per book.
- "Historic Houses of San Juan Hill", Revised Edition, 2006. (Out of Print)
- "Historic Houses of Lower San Juan District",
April 1998. (Out of Print)
(Note: The report on the double house at 612-614 Alvarado Row contained errors and the building has since been remodeled. A revised and updated report appears in Historic Houses IV.)
- Historic Houses III: San Juan Neighborhood, Stanford University. Published Spring 2005. The price is $19.95 + $1.75 sales tax (CA residents) + $6.00 shipping and handling per book.
- Historic Houses IV: Early Residential Communities of the Lower San Juan District. Published Spring 2007. The price is $19.95 + $1.75 sales tax (CA residents) + $6.00 shipping and handling per book.
- Historic Houses V: Southeast San Juan Neighborhood, Stanford University. Published Spring 2009. The price is $19.95 + $1.75 sales tax (CA residents) + $6.00 shipping and handling per book.
- Historic Houses VI: Lower San Juan Neighborhood, Continued. Stanford University. Published Spring of 2012. The price is $24.95 + $2.18 sales tax (CA residents) + $6.00 shipping and handling per book.
To order books, please send your request and check to Stanford Historical Society, PO Box 20028, Stanford, CA 94309. For more information, please call (650) 725-3332, or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.